Best Boat Covers Reviews (How to Choose 2020)
Every single day, your boats are exposed to humidity and temperature, dry, bright sun, and damp nights. Your boat can also be exposed to an occasional hailstorm, bird droppings, rodents, dirt, pollution, and salt air. These things can cause issues with the wood brightwork and gel coat. This is why adding a boat cover is essential to prevent mold, mildew, cracked wood, bleached, and an oxidized gel coat. Also, covering your boat will prevent theft because it’s out of sight.
Table of Contents:
- 1 Our Top Pick
- 2 Top 5 Best Boat Covers Reviews
- 3 1. Seamander Trailerable Runabout Boat Cover
- 4 2.MSC Heavy Duty 600D Marine Grade Waterproof Boat Cover
- 5 3.Leader Accessories 600D Polyester Waterproof Trailerable Runabout Boat Cover
- 6 4.Classic Accessories StormPro Heavy-Duty Center Console Boat Cover
- 7 5.Budge 600 Denier Boat Cover
- 8 How You Can Install Your Boat Cover
- 9 What Is A Boat Cover
- 10 Buying Guide
- 11 Choosing The Type Of Boat Cover
- 12 Choosing A Fabric For Your Boat Cover
- 13 Choosing The Color Of The Boat Cover
- 14 Choose The Right Boat Cover Measurement
- 15 Types Of Fabrics Use In Boat Covers
- 16 Cotton/Polyester Blends
- 17 Polyester
- 18 Cotton Canvas
- 19 Maintaining Your Boat Covers
- 20 Conclusion
Our Top Pick
Our top pick for this boat cover reviews is Seamander Trailerable Runabout Boat Cover. The reason behind this is because it’s made of 600D polycanvas marine-grade material. The stitches have an interlocking double stitched to ensure its durability. It can also help protect the boat against any weather, so you don’t have to worry about anything. Lastly, it comes with a two-year warranty so in case you come across with any problem, you can consult the manufacturer immediately.
Top 5 Best Boat Covers Reviews
1. Seamander Trailerable Runabout Boat Cover
Seamander boat cover is made out of 600D Marine-grade polycanvas woven material. It also has a double PU back coating, so you can be sure that your cover is durable enough. When it comes to stitching, it has a double interlocking stitched seams with a thread that’s marine grade. To ensure superior trailer ability and easy fitting, there is an integrated strap system. One of the best things about this cover is that it has all-weather protection for any challenging environments.
See more information on Seamander Trailerable Runabout Boat Cover.
- Durable boat cover
- All-weather protection
- 12 Adjustable straps
- Mesh storage bag
- Prevents moisture and heat build-up
2.MSC Heavy Duty 600D Marine Grade Waterproof Boat Cover
MSC waterproof boat cover is made out of marine grade polyester canvas and has a double PU coating. This boat cover is created for highway travel, mooring, and of course, for long-term storage. One of the best things about this boat cover is that it is resistant to UV damage and mildew. This boat cover has a storage bag and an adjustable strap. Lastly, the MSC boat cover has a three-year limited warranty.
See more information on MSC Heavy Duty 600D Marine Grade Waterproof Boat Cover.
- Resistance to UV damage and mildew
- UV coated fabric
- Elastic cord sewed
- Quick release buckles
- Easy to use
- Has a storage bag
- Heavy duty
3.Leader Accessories 600D Polyester Waterproof Trailerable Runabout Boat Cover
This Leader Accessories boat cover can fit almost all hull styles. The cover is made out of ShoreMaster and a 600D heavy-duty polyester fabric that’s marine grade with urethane coated. The cover is treated for mildew and UV resistance, and of course for water repellency. To ensure that the water that will enter the cover will decrease, they made sure to double stitched the seams. Each of the top seams has an inch of poly-web straps to ensure that it will last longer.
See more information on Leader Accessories 600D Polyester Waterproof Trailerable Runabout Boat Cover.
- Perfect for both storage and trailering
- Elastic cord in the hem’s bottom part
- Adjustable straps
- High-quality cover
- Durable cover
4.Classic Accessories StormPro Heavy-Duty Center Console Boat Cover
This Classic Accessories boat cover is perfect for boats without any roods. The cover is heavy duty with 600D boat cover designed for highway travel and long-term storage. To ensure that you can easily fit it in your boat, it has an integrated strap and buckle system. One of the good things about this boat cover is that it has an adjustable strap so it can quickly snap and release the buckle’s cover. This boat cover includes trailering straps, cover supply, and storage bag.
See more information on Classic Accessories StormPro Heavy-Duty Center Console Boat Cover.
- Heavy-duty boat cover
- 5 Year warranty
- Made of durable material
- Elastic hem
- Good strapping system
5.Budge 600 Denier Boat Cover
This Budge boat cover is proven to be waterproof to repel heavy rain, hot sun, and snow. It is made out of 600 denier polyester, which is treated for maximum heat and sun protection. This will help protect the paint and upholstery of the boat. Another good thing about the material used is that it can help prevent the build-up of condensation while reducing mildew, mold, and rust. Another good thing about this boat cover is that it’s durable enough because of the sewn-in traps and the heavy hem and shock cord.
See more information on Budge 600 Denier Boat Cover.
- Built to stay secure
- UV treated
- Buckles securely
- Durable enough
- Weather protection
- Designed to be used on a trailer
How You Can Install Your Boat Cover
What Is A Boat Cover
Boat covers are used to protect the boat that sits on the water or your garage for quite some time. The cover will protect your boat’s interiors from accumulating dirt or water. There are a lot of environmental factors that you should protect your boat from, as they can damage your boat by rusting or tarnishing it. Another reason why boat covers are here is to protect your boat’s glasses from damage during snow and hailstorm. The boat will help maintain the look and overall health of your boat when you’re not using it.
Choosing The Type Of Boat Cover
There are two types of boat covers, trailering and storage. Trailer boat covers should have a snug fit, and it should also have a reinforcement high wear areas so it can withstand the traveling rigors at highway speeds. The storage boat cover, on the other hand, is loosely fit and can be used to protect boats at the dock, anchor, and on the trailer as well. A storage boat cover can range from a framed canopy to a simple blue tarp.
There is also a universal fit which is usually a generic cover that is inexpensive and convenient. They are also trailerable and are made for a quick trip cross country or going to the lake. This kind of cover is available in just one color and has a broad fit of a maximum of three feet.
Choosing A Fabric For Your Boat Cover
Boat covers also have different fabrics, and you need to choose something that is water repellent and breathable. This will help keep the rainwater out of your boat while still allowing the water vapor to escape. You also need to choose a fabric that is mildew and UV resistant, and as well as abrasion resistance. All these will help your boat to stay protected no matter what.
One of the best types of fabric is the pigment dyed polyester which has an excellent weight to strength ratio. It is not only durable but breathable as well, which can help repel water and as well as protect your boat from UV radiation.
Choosing The Color Of The Boat Cover
Boat covers are also available in different colors, which can be surprising at times. But what people don’t know is that the higher the dye amount in darker colored covers have, the higher its resistance to UV. Typically, green, black, and blue can last longer than red, tan, and white. Of course, remember that darker colors can also absorb heat and can, therefore, transmit the heat to whatever is under them.
Choose The Right Boat Cover Measurement
For you to be able to find the right boat cover, you need to know the right measurement. You can do this by using a measuring tape. The most long distance across your boat should be measured, and you need to repeat the same process when it comes to the centerline length. You need to make sure to allow some space for swim platforms and bow pulpits.
Types Of Fabrics Use In Boat Covers
Cotton and Polyester blend is a combination of water repellency and strength. It is also breathable which is good for your boat. Typically there are boat covers that are made out of 60% polyester and 40% cotton, while there are also 50% of each. If you prefer this kind of combination, then it would be best to choose a higher percentage of polyester.
Polyester is one of the toughest materials available, which provides durability and reliability when it comes to boat covers. Majority of the custom made covers are usually made out of 100% polyester. If you are going to use this kind of fabric, you should know that the weight will vary between 6 to 10 ounce. They are also very water repellant and UV resistant, which makes Polyester one of the top choices of people who are purchasing. If you are going to choose a polyester fabric, make sure that you used it in areas where the humidity is not a problem. Its durability makes it a great option for rain and sun exposure.
One of the least expensive types of boat cover would be the cotton canvas. It is perfect for all-around protection, especially during mild climates. Cotton is known as a natural fiber, which is breathable but is not waterproof. You may opt for marine-grade cotton, as it is treated to ensure that it can repel water and as well as resists mildew.
Typically people are using cotton canvas boat covers for long-term storage. There is also a strap which can be used to tie own the cover to the boat, which will make it good for highway towing.
Maintaining Your Boat Covers
- When purchasing a boat cover to protect your boat, you should know that protecting your boat covers is also essential. Without maintaining your boat cover, it will not be able to protect the boat itself. So here are some of the ways on how you can maintain your boat cover.
- Make sure that your boat cover is free from snow and water.
- To avoid the pooling of water on your boat cover, make sure to support it with bows, straps, or poles.
- To avoid tearing your boat cover accidentally, it would be best to install padding on depth finders, trolling motors, and windshield before you install the boat cover itself.
- When tying your boat cover down, make sure that you’re doing it securely. But when you’re trailering, make sure to use ties that are heavy duty to avoid having problems. You can use bungee cords since they can usually stretch preventing damages to the cover and as well as the finish of the boat.
- If your boat cover is regularly exposed to environmental elements and cleaning, then its water repellency feature may diminish over time. For people who don’t know, the water repellent finish that is used for boat covers which will let the water to run off from the cover. Now, once the water repellency starts to diminish. You can use some fabric guard that will help restore the cover’s water repellency.
- Also, you need to brush off any dirt from the boat cover to make it look clean and new. You can even make a solution, by combining natural soap and lukewarm water. Rinse your boat cover using the solution and let it dry thoroughly. Avoid using detergent because it might damage the fabric and diminish the repellent finish. It can also invite the mildew from developing from your boat cover.
- When storing your boat cover, make sure that it is clean and thoroughly dry before storing it.
With the five best boat covers reviews above, you will surely be able to choose which one you want for your boat. Narrowing down your options when purchasing a boat cover will help things easier for you. Remember that covering your boat will not only help maintain the appearance of your boat but will also serve as a security. So start choosing from the top 5 best covers above so you can protect your boat immediately.